Download Full Text (10.6 MB)
White paper with typewritten message. Signature in black on lower right, with red circular hand samp to the left of it. Red writing in upper right corner, and writing in pencil on lower left. Pasted stamp with red hand stamp over it on bottom right.
Information Provided by Michael D. Bulmash:
Typed document of the Jewish Community of Petrikau addressed to the Commissar of the city. The document requests daily passes for 10 Jewish residents of the Ghetto to be able to leave for stores outside of the Ghetto. The document lists names and addresses of the 10 people who would work as selectors or sorters from the formerly Jewish stores now outside the Ghetto. Hand stamped in red with Der Aelteste Rat (later changed to Judenrat) der Israelitischen Kultusgemeinde in Petrikau and signed by a member of the Aeltsste Rat. Adhesive recieved stamp in lower right, manuscript notations in German, meaning that the passes were either given out or not. Piotrkow (Petrikau in German) Trybunalski is located in mid-Poland 25 km. south of Lodz. Occupied by the Nazis in September 5, 1939, the pogrom started immediately with murders, rapes, forced drafts for slave labor, etc. On October 8, a decree went public announcing the ghettoization of the Jewish population (20,000) along with the necessity--on penalty of death--to wear the identifying Yellow Star. Money, gold, jewelry and other valuables had to be handed over to the city officials. The ghetto was liquidated in October 1942, with transports to Treblinka. The rest were sent to labor camps and then to Auschwitz. Of the original 20,000 residents, only about 1400 survived.
11 3/4 x 7 3/4"
Jewish Community of Petrikau, Ghetto, Judenrat, Der Aelteste Rat, Poland, Trybunalski, Lodz, Star of David, Treblinka, Auschwitz
"Jewish Community of Petrikau Letter" (1940). Bulmash Family Holocaust Collection. 2015.2.100.