Download Full Text (3.4 MB)
A white slip with a typewritten message, including a red hand stamp and signatures in green and black.
Information Provided by Michael D. Bulmash: In the occupied territories of Poland, the various Jewish welfare organizations that had existed before the war continued under the aegis of the Judische Soziale Selbsthilfe (Jewish Self-Help; JSS), the legal entity that essentially absorbed their functions, and was an important anchor during these times. The directorate of JSS, headquartered in Krakow, included representatives from ghettos throughout the Generalgouvernement and maintained continuous contact with all Jewish communities. The financial resources allotted to the JSS by the German authorities -- extremely modest compared to their needs -- helped ghetto inhabitants operate soup kitchens and warehouses, as well as provide medical aid.
5 x 8"
Krakow, Ghetto, Poland
"Receipt from Krakow Ghetto" (1941). Bulmash Family Holocaust Collection. 2014.1.142.