1 1/4 x 2 in.
Bequest of David P. Harris ('46), 2020
An openwork plaque in the form of a cross cast in one piece with an oval loop. The four arms of the cross are decorated with rings, and there is a circular depression at the center of the cross. The buckle tongue is missing. On the back of the plaque are two loops for attachment to the belt. The buckle is believed to have come from Lebanon or Syria. For a comparable buckle, see British Museum, 1881,0719.66.
Purchased from Tetragon, London, in 1992.
The Byzantine World