Download Full Text (2.4 MB)
Front: A black and white photograph of high-rise apartments with white text in French.
Back: Black printed postcard lines.
Information Provided by Michael D. Bulmash: Poetically named La Cité de la Muette ("The Silent City") at its creation for its perceived peaceful ideals, Drancy was a 1930s high-rise apartment complex in the northeast suburb of Paris before the Nazis confiscated it and utilized it as an internment camp to hold Jews and other 'undesirables' who were later deported to the extermination camps. 65,000 Jews were deported from Drancy, of whom 63,000 were murdered, including 6,000 children. The Vichy government under Petain and Laval cooperated with Nazi Germany, hunting down foreign and French Jews and turning them over to the Gestapo for transport to the Third Reich's extermination camps. Drancy was under the control of the French police until 1943, when the administration was taken over by SS officer Alois Brunner. With his arrival came the need to increase deportations to Auschwitz. Drancy at its peak held more than 7,000 prisoners. The brutality of the French guards in Drancy and the harsh conditions imposed on the inmates is wel known. For example, upon their arrival, small children were immediately separated from their parents for deportation to death camps. On April 6, 1944, SS First Lieutenant Klaus Barbie raided a children's home in Izieu, France, where Jewish children had been hidden. Barbie arrested everyone present, all 44 children and 7 adult staff members. The next day, the Gestapo transported the arrestees to Drancy. From there, all the children and staff were deported to Auschwitz. None of them survived.
3 1/2 x 5 1/2"
"Drancy Internment Camp Postcard" (2016). Bulmash Family Holocaust Collection. 2014.1.160.