Preview

image preview

Creator

Denis Baly

Description

The main entrance portal of the Büyük Karatay Medresesi (Turkish term for an educational institute, also written as "madrasah"). It is located on the north side of Alaettin Hill, near the Ince Minare Medrese (see B42.014-022) and just down the hill from the Alaettin Mosque. It was built in 1251 and endowed by Emir Jelaleddin Karatay, one of the Seljuk Turkish empire's greatest generals, statesmen and grand vezirs. The entrance portal of this building is a fine exhibition of Seljuq ornamentation. One of its notable aspects is the slightly truncated muqarnas niche, its form derived from "a formula developed by the Great Selcuks of Isfahan in Persia." The alternating light and dark marble stones along with geometric patterns and Arabic calligraphy in low-relief contribute to the magnificent overall decorative style of the monument, which was adoped as the standard for "both the madarsas and the caravanserais of the thirteenth century." Today, the madrasa serves as a museum, exhibiting Selcuk tilework. -MA

Keywords

Konya, Turkey

Share

 
COinS
 

Rights Statement

In Copyright - Non-Commercial Use Permitted